Westwood Golf Club, originally founded in 1928 as Westwood Country Club, has the distinction of being the second oldest Private Golf Club in Houston on its original site. The Club was founded by thirty prominent families with the desire to promote the spirit of brotherhood among its members by supporting and maintaining a private club for the promotion of outdoor life.
The original design, by noted Texas golf professional and architect John Bredemus, was nine holes. This "sporty nine" had a par of 36 and two sets of tees. The backset measured to a length of 3310 yards and the front set played to a length of 2979. This design had the reputation of challenging all skill levels with demanding drives through the natural hardwoods and tight second shots to well bunkered greens. Two of the featured holes included the fifth hole, a par 5, and the par 3 eighth hole. The fifth hole measured to a length of 600 yards with a very narrow fairway that has out of bounds to the right and heavy rough to the right. The scenic number eight, a par 3 that measures to 150 yards, positioned so that players hit into the prevailing wind. This green was well bunkered with water to the right and trees to the left. After the completion of Westwood, John went on to design other great golf courses such as Colonial CC.
In 1957 the Club commissioned Ralph Plummer, former assistant to Bredemus, to redesign the original nine holes and add a new nine holes. The Club extended its golf course across the original flow path of Braes Bayou. Ralph was able to maintain the "feel" of the original nine holes incorporating the natural features of shifting terrain and fairways lined by hardwood trees. At this same time, the Club introduced to its members a classically designed Clubhouse.
In 2002 the members chose to reestablish Westwood as a premier private club with an emphasis on golf. Keith Foster was hired to redesign the golf course, utilizing the natural beauty of the land and trees to form a challenging golf course that will stand the test of time. Keith's design incorporated the natural ravine, and existing trees while enhancing the gentle roll of the land. The holes were reoriented inward to strengthen the perimeter creating an "Eden like setting". Along with the reconstruction of the golf course, the clubhouse and maintenance facilities were demolished and relocated to conform and augment the new design.
Westwood Golf Club reopened to member and guest play in May 2004.